Hardcover, 7.5 x 10.25", 399 pages
Click here to view sample pages
The first of two volumes, this comprehensive text builds an important foundation for essential oil therapy and includes profiles of the 30 most important essential oils used in practice.
Taking a truly holistic approach, this detailed database compares different approaches to essential oil therapeutics. Skillfully blending the evidence of scientific research with that of clinical practice, the book builds a comprehensive therapeutic profile of each oil. Based on the different administration methods used and the absorption pathways activated, the extensive Materia Medica section differentiates the psychological, physiological and topical uses of these essential oils.
• Explores the true sourcing of essential oils from around the world
• Establishes clear definitions for essential oils as bioactive, clinically potent remedies
• Exposes the adulteration practices in the commercial oil trades for the mass market
• Examines issues of the safe oil use of essential oils fom the widest clinical perspective
"This is a truly outstanding contribution to the literature on essential oil therapeutics. Based on years of experience, Holmes shares his profound insights into the therapeutic and clinical usage of essential oils, seamlessly weaving vitalistic and allopathic paradigms. Regardless of the individual practitioner’s approach and philosophical leanings, this is an invaluable resource. Aromatica is the most significant text on essential oil therapy to emerge in recent years, and is destined to become a ‘classic’ in the field."
- Jennifer Peace Rhind, author of Essential Oils – a Handbook for Aromatherapy Practice, Fragrance and Wellbeing, Listening to Scen, etc.
"Peter Holmes has done it again. In his usual style, he has produced a useful clinical text on use of volatile oils. Rather than focusing on documenting everything in the medical literature, he has focused on all the practical aspects of these oils and just enough science and history to keep it all in context."
- Eric Yarnell ND, RH(AHG), Associate Professor, Dept. of Botanical Medicine, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA
"Aromatica is a valuable and original contribution to the literature presently available. It is a meticulously researched and scholarly book, which covers the use of essential oils from a wide-ranging clinical perspective. It includes precise data on some unusual oils such as Blue Tansy, as well as outlining the critical importance of selecting premium quality oils to ensure their therapeutic effectiveness."
- Julia Lawless, author of The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils and The Complete Essential Oils Sourcebook
"We want to congratulate you on this tremendous achievement. Aromatica, along with your earlier volumes, demonstrates your rare gift of intellectual, scholarly and intuitive excellence."
- Ted Kaptchuk OMD and Maribeth Kaptchuk Lic Ac
"It is the eclectic, integrated nature of this exposition that makes Aromatica an indispensable source of reliable information on the energetic and symptomatic therapeutics of essential oils. The fact that these faculties are discussed with eloquence and lucidity, as well as a deep appreciation of the provenance, potency and olfactory subtlety of essential oils, instills this opus with the excellence of artisanship."
- Gabriel Mojay LicAc, CertEd, FIFPA, Founding Co-Chair of the International Federation of Professional Aromatherapists (IFPA)
"[Aromatica] is a real feast for the student and the seasoned clinician alike. This book secures Peter’s place as a master of weaving eclectic systems of classification into a clinically useful modern construction. Peter shares with us his great gift for using the terms and principles of Chinese medicine to explore herbal medicines from beyond the classical Chinese materia medica with easily understandable and clinically useful clarity."
- Charles Lev LAc, Faculty Instructor in Family Medicine, Oregon Health Science University, Portland, OR